Sunday, May 8, 2011

Up and Coming

The 21st Century has brought a LOT of things into our lives.  Technology has just exploded beyond anything I could have ever imagined.  Shoot, I'm still trying to figure out how sound waves work, or the telegraph, or a sonic boom, or even a camera!  Advance several years to now and the Internet is all the rage.

And I plan on taking advantage of it!

What an amazing communication device.  Thank you military for creating the backbone of what we now call the Internet.  By the way, or in today's Internet language, "btw", did you know (probably "dyk") that just about half the things we have today is due to the military?  Yep, including duct tape.  It was invented to keep moisture out of ammunition cases back in the 1940's.  Check it out: http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/ducttape.htm

This is going to be one of those interesting blogs.  You can tell already, huh?  The fact that we are a homeschooling, mission-minded, been-through-all-kinds-of-things, recently-recovering-from-sickness-and-ALstorms kind of people may just have something to do with it.

So, let's get you caught up on what's been going on since my last blog.  Which happened to be one month from the tornado storms that ripped through Alabama.  By God's grace, we were not affected.  We were about 10 miles from a tornado that went through the area Bill used to work in at Cahaba Heights.  The other areas affected are a bit farther away, but we continue to see relief effort signs everywhere.  In fact, our Cub scout pack will be having a car wash this coming Saturday, May 14 at the Advanced Auto off Hwy 280 in Chelsea, AL from 9am-2pm.  So come out if you're in the area!

Since we've been back from Texas, we've been trying to clean a few more things around the home and in the garage.  It's just a constant process.  Also, we've had a few people come through and look at our house which is still on the market.  However, we are trying to get a home loan modification which would allow us to stay.  I'm hoping we qualify! 

We also had several storms come close.  For awhile there I thought the sirens would never stop.  The first set of storms was about 2 weeks before the big ones on April 27.  We did get tornado like winds from that.  In fact, I believe a tornado did come pretty close that time but again we were spared.  After that they just came every few days and our basement became "home base" for awhile. 

The Wednesday after April 27, sirens went off at 10am and it was a clear, beautiful day.  Due to the "Pavlov" effect from the earlier sirens, I began panicking until I realized it was their first Wed. of every month siren drill.  The relief was enormous!

That following Sunday afternoon, I started feeling sick: sore throat, some nausea, and possible low-grade fever.  Sure enough, it bloomed into a nice, fully exaggerated cold of sorts.  By Wed I was out cold.  Well, I had a cold, and I was out.  But I wasn't out in the cold.  That sounds like, "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"  And you wonder why people have a hard time understanding the English language?!

I'm just about out of my cold now though.  Moving forward.... 

So, that just about catches you up to speed.  One thing I didn't mention was we were able to have a ministry presentation at our church about Believer's Bridge.  We created some videos which really help give a little more background to the purpose of our ministry.  I will attempt to embed them in this blog.  Which brings me back to our original thought. 

I've been having fun trying to get up to speed on the latest and greatest, up and coming blog techniques.  So, you may see some changes to the blog in the near future.  Hopefully some good ones.  To start off with, something you can do right now that I had no idea you could do is just add "/view" to the end of rowleybb.blogspot.com.  From there you can pick a view in which to see the blog.  It's kind of fun.

The other "up and coming" thing, which really is coming up, is our Florida trip.  (Did you catch that?  Pretty snazzy, huh?  It comes from years of living with Bill...and those that know him understand.)  We will be leaving in about a week + for at least a month-long stay in our RV.  Speaking of, we should create a name for RV.  Something like the "Rowleymobile", but better.  Maybe we'll have a "Name the Rowley RV" contest.  Stay tuned.

Well, keep up your prayers for us and the ministry.  We have been encouraged by folks who not only support us financially, but have a genuine interest in the place that God has placed us "for such a time as this".  It takes a village to mobilize a ministry, and hearts of understanding and grace to propel them forward.

"I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus.  I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people."  Philemon 1:4-7




No comments:

Post a Comment