Saturday, August 27, 2011

Seven Grain Bread

Mmmm....  The smell of fresh baked bread is tantalizing.  Especially when you've made it yourself.  I modified a recipe (more than 1/2 of it), so I guess I can technically claim this recipe as my own.

I shared photos before but haven't shared the recipe, so... since I made some this morning, I thought I would post this while it's fresh (no pun intended) on my mind.  Enjoy!!!

Seven Grain Bread(Makes 2 Loaves)

In a mixer ( I use a Kitchen Aid), add and mix well:
1 1/2 C Bread Flour + 1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tb Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
5 tsp Active or Dry (regular) yeast (or 2 packages)

Heat either on stove or in microwave until very warm (120 - 130 degrees), NOT hot:

2 C Milk
1/2 C Water

Add to flour mix.  Beat on low for about 3 minutes.

Add the following and use a bread hook (if you have one ~ this makes it SO much easier):

1/4 C Cornmeal (optional)
1/2 C Millet
1/2 C Wheat Germ
3/4 Bulgar Wheat
1 C Oats (quick or regular ~ I only had regular this time)

Here's what I used.  I like Bobs Red Mill for the cornmeal and wheatgerm, Arrowhead Mills for the millet, and usually I try to buy the unbleached flours.  Any kind of Bulgar wheat works too.  And not pictured is the oats (any kind as well).

(5 whole grains above + the white and whole wheat flours = 7 grains)

Use the bread hook or your hands to make a nice dough.  Add more bread flour if needed to get the right consistency: much like play dough, possibly a little "softer".

Grease a baking pan and sprinkle some cornmeal on it. 

Make 2 separate bread doughs by "rolling" the dough in mid-air with your hands, or on a counter if you prefer.  Mine came out to about 16 long and 3 inches wide.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Slash tops diagonally if you'd like and let rise for 45 minutes.  Yep, this only needs to rise once and it will be ready to go into the oven.  Bake for 25 minutes or until tops are a nice golden brown.  YUM!!!  Enjoy your hearty and textured HEALTHY bread!  I like to slice mine diagonally and freeze one of the loaves.




And here's how the inside looks.  Wholesome goodness WITHOUT most of the preservatives you find in store bought breads.  Mmm,  mnn, mmm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment